Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A Proper Perspective

Well, we didn't find out the gender of the baby and I must say I was pretty peeved! The sonographer looked for quite awhile and the baby was just not going to cooperate. At first the baby was quite active, even placing a hand between the legs to avoid revealing the secret. After my wife took a bathroom break, the baby had settled on its feet and wouldn't move for anything. In all honesty the sonographer did a great job trying to figure it out, but it was just a no go.

To be brutally honest, I was perfectly crushed. I had been so looking forward to finding out! I wanted to buy him a little baseball outfit or her a little...well, baseball outfit. ;) But that wasn't the point! I know the little rascal is in there as we've seen and heard the baby several times. But when my wife told me the baby had kicked; that they had actually made contact? I was so jealous I could barely stand it! I wanted to find a way to bond with the little one and finding out the gender seemed to be the way. I so sad at first I could cry and then so angry I could have shouted! I mean, what could be worse?

Then I thought about it for a moment and looked past my ego. The baby has no readily apparent abnormalities. The baby is moving and kicking. The baby extended a hand so we could see it. The baby is not too large. The baby is not too small. Julie's blood sugar levels are stable. We have an apparently healthy fetus that will be here soon and it doesn't matter one damn bit that we don't know if it's a girl or a boy. That's a proper perspective if I ever heard one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This baby obviously has Julie's modesty, and also the wisdom Scott displayed at a young age. This amazing baby has already taught its father patience! I'd be willing to bet that this will not be the last time this child won't do what its parents want, when they want it, and they need to be ready for that. Right, kid?