Monday, April 04, 2005

Together Again

It's been a couple weeks since my last post, but not because of a lack of baby related happenings! Julie & I have been making our final decisions on the nursery and ordered the furniture over the weekend. I've already had a request from my dad to put pictures of them up as soon as we can, so I will debut the nursery with the kid's stuff when we get it set up. The two larger pieces, an armoire and a changing table will come fully assembled, but I'll have to put the crib together and will likely have my father in law's help (as well as his truck!). It's supposed to be here in about 7 days, so we're hopeful there will be a debut by this time next week. Stay tuned for any updates!

Over the last week or so both Julie & I have been reading ahead on what to expect the first few days, weeks, and months after the baby arrives. There's a lot out there for us to know! I won't speak for Julie, but deep down I have a feeling that we'll have instincts to guide us for most of it and that a lot of trial and error will be involved. I'll warn both sets of grandparents right now that there will probably be a number of late night phone calls! They may be filled with reports that the screaming in the background must be bubonic plague when a diaper rash is a more likely prognosis! We'll do our very best to stay calm at all times when we're on the hotline, but we can't make any promises.

As I mentioned in an earlier entry, I've been thinking back to my childhood and the things my parents introduced me to as a little one. They are the usual suspects: Peter Rabbit, Curious George, Paddington Bear, and just about every educational program on PBS. But none is more treasured that my old friends who lived on Sesame Street. Fortunately, they are still around and more present than ever in our culture. They weren't just TV shows since they were a constant presence in books, stories, and my imagination. I couldn't imagine our progeny without them! And no other characters were more beloved than Bert & Ernie.

To my eternal dismay, recent commentators have questioned their "lifestyle" in a PC world run amuck, but as a child I always had a better explanation: they were brothers silly! To a young stocky boy who grew up with a tall sprouting twig of a sibling, it didn't ever seem that odd that they slept in the same room and shared their daily lives. So, whether or not others think they were brothers, those lovable Muppets were best of friends...and now they're together again to fill another child's imagination with their adventures. And, by the way, did you notice that everyone can see Snufalufagus now? What is up with that!?!

No comments: