Thursday, June 15, 2006

Back From Whence I Came

Hi All! I haven't posted in awhile since I went on vacation with the family. It was the boy's first real vacation and there were some bumps with teething and getting to sleep in new places (and oh do I have a whopper of a story about one particular night). However, he did really well overall. We went to Cape Cod for a little over a week to stay with my folks who rented a place there. It rained most of the time, but we still enjoyed ourselves and got one day on the beach for pictures with the boy. I'll try to get some posted tonight or tomorrow.

Besides time away from home, I've really been trying to learn more about Buddhism. I have been referring to myself as a Buddhist for awhile now but I think I should learn more if I'm going to continue doing that. :) Basically, it speaks to me and helps me define who I am as well as who I want to become. Nothing wrong with that, right? Along the way I just have this one other little task: writing my dissertation!

So, I just wanted to write a brief post so the 3 people who read this blog didn't think I was gone for months again! I also have to go because the little man just found the remote control to the television and is flipping between C-SPAN and Animal Planet, neither of which I've watched in some time! I'm so glad he's mobile now, but there is a certain comfort level when he's not able to move very much. Now he's watching Jessica Simpson in an acne medication commercial. Oh no...it's starting already...doh! ;)

8 comments:

Doug said...

Welcome back! How's the food up in Cape Cod? I've never been anywhere east beyond the West Coast (i.e. I don't travel much).

Besides time away from home, I've really been trying to learn more about Buddhism. I have been referring to myself as a Buddhist for awhile now but I think I should learn more if I'm going to continue doing that. :) Basically, it speaks to me and helps me define who I am as well as who I want to become.

When you choose to walk the Path of the Buddha, you are a Buddhist. When you decide not to walk the Path anymore, you are no longer a Buddhist (i.e. no hard feelings)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome back and the food is always excellent, which more than makes up for any damper on the week caused by the rain. And if anyone visits the Cape, my wife and I heartily endorse Clancy's of Dennisport! ;)

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement about walking the path, but I wasn't sure if you meant I was already walking the path or if I wasn't just yet. I could see it either way since on the one hand I have learned and accepted the path of a Buddhist's life. However, in wanting to learn more, I was referring to varying opnions on what that means to different people and perhaps that is necessary before I can refer to myself as Buddhist. Regardless, the path is laid out before me and there are many miles to travel.

Doug said...

but I wasn't sure if you meant I was already walking the path or if I wasn't just yet.

That's entirely up to you. :)

I do see that people can walk the Path without even realizing it, so I was kind of thinking it from that angle.

Anonymous said...

Cool! ;) I think I have been walking parts of the path for most of my life, but others I'll have to work on for the rest of it.

Anonymous said...

Which form of Buddhism are you interested in? I admit I don't know a lot about it but I believe there are different varieties. Some very stuctured, very simple paths and others a bit more complex.

Jen

Anonymous said...

I'm most interested in Zen Buddhism, part of the Mahayana tradition. On the Belief-o-meter I come out higher in the Theravada tradition than Mahayana, but the difference is slight (100% match vs. 97%) and probably not really significant. I read a basic book on Buddhism and felt most connected to Zen, although I am open to any form. What convinced me to stick with Zen was a passage by Pema Chodron (a Tibetan Buddhist) who said one should go with the type that is most appealing from the first moment. As I suggest in my last comment, I have still have miles to go...but that's really the point...at least for me. :)

Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

Unknown said...

true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, true religion jeans, ugg boots, ray ban uk, sac guess, vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ugg boots, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, hollister, hermes, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, vans pas cher, burberry, michael kors, north face, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, timberland, mulberry, michael kors outlet, hogan, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher