Tuesday, July 26, 2005

First Field Trip

It's been a busy time as one might expect with a newborn in the house! It took about a week just for my wife and I to feel like regular people again, although she still has all the aches and pains of a c-section recovery. The boy has been great though as he only gets us up once in the night to feed and have his diaper checked. What's been the most helpful has been his consistency and, while that may very well change, we feel generally rested and recovered from the hospital stay.

We have taken the little one for a few quick trips over the weekend to Target on Saturday and to the maternal grandparents house on Sunday. However, today was his first real field trip! We stopped by my wife's workplace to show him off at an office picnic where he was a big hit. Then we headed to Toys R Us and Babies R Us to pick him up some clothes because most of what we bought him was too big! Given the fact that my wife had gestational diabetes, we naturally figured he'd be around 8 pounds. But, he's definitely a little man for the moment at least!

Our last stop was Pizzeria Uno and I must say that he was a champ. He ate and burped very well and slept most of the time. He also went without a diaper check for about 5 hours and didn't complain at all. I know it remains to be seen if he'll stay calm and consistent in the weeks ahead, but he really has been an angel. Oh he belts out those high pitched cries and is fussy around mealtimes, but we couldn't have wished for a more content baby.


So, after a quick stop at school to return some VERY overdue interlibrary loans (yes, I've been a delinquent borrower!), we are chilling at home watching the Red Sox game. We're all pretty spent and the boy was a bit fussy during his feeding, but he's already done so well today that I couldn't complain if I tried. Sometimes I sit with him at night and look down, having to take it in that he's really my son, that we really created this little life. How thankful am I for my family? I don't think there are enough words in all the universe quite frankly.

And, speaking of the Red Sox, they just came back in the top of the 9th to tie the game! Anyone who knows us is aware of our love of the Sox and we have been trying to bring the boy up to speed. I have said repeatedly that I'd be ok if he doesn't grow up to be a Red Sox fan or even if he doesn't like baseball, but it is something that I think we'll all be able to share as he grows up. The World Series last year was a time I'll never forget and, actually, wasn't it just about 9 months ago? Hmm, it seems like something else was going on around that time, but what could it be? :)

No comments: