Friday, July 01, 2005

On the Horizon

Today is the first day of July, the weather is cooling off, and I'm living fancy free! It's been a busy two weeks since my last post and the amount of news to report is getting thick. So, I'll do my best to cut to the chase. Brady may be here in just over a week! Yay! After an appointment with our OB, my wife has been scheduled to be induced on Saturday July 9th. We see Dr. C. again next week, so the arrangements could change, but she's on at the hospital that weekend and wants to do the birth herself!

Suffice it to say that we're absolutely thrilled beyond belief! My wife had been planning to play "Let's Make a Deal" with Dr. C, but she brought it up before she could say a word. The baby is 37 weeks as of yesterday, so he's had proper baking time and we were told that after 38 weeks the VERY LOW mortality rate for babies with gestational diabetes does start to go up. While we had been worried about him being too big, the estimated weight is 6 pounds 4 ounces, coincidently the same weight I was when I was born!

So, my wife is on maternity leave as of today but doesn't think the reality of not going to work will hit until next week. And speaking of reality, how do you think we'll feel on Friday night when we head into the hospital? I'd love to hear some predictions. I must admit that when I started this blog I expected a few responses to my posts, but other than my parents we haven't had much activity. So, if you are out there as faithful readers, please let yourselves be heard! While those who post previously had to sign up with Blogger, you can now post anonymously if you wish. Now you have no excuse!

Today we have another non-stress test to make sure the baby's heart rate and movement are good, but after feeling him last night I don't think we'll have long to wait! He was bouncing around in his tight space and I could feel body parts! It was a really weird sensation I must say, but the ultimate feeling will be holding my son for the first time and I have absolutely no idea how I'll feel at that moment. I'm told it's like no other feeling in the world...better than a first kiss, getting married, or any other event in our short time on this Earth. And I don't doubt that for one second...I love you little man!


1 comment:

Middento said...

Congrats, GenXDad! (As another Gen X dad myself, I envy your choice of name, heh heh.) I'm one of the folks off the expectantandnewdads listserv that just read your entry, so GOOD LUCK with the upcoming birth! As a professor who happened to be on sabbatical when my son was born in March, I've been mostly the one at home as well for this early period -- and it's been amazing and wonderful and yes, we dads are more than capable of all of this. (As a fellow dad, here's my caveat for you: frozen breat milk will not warm up nearly fast enough for either you or Brady. Later -- at my point now at three months -- you'll be able to perhaps anticipate some hunger but for now, prepare for some tears...;)

Have a wonderful time with the new experience and I'll be eagerly looking forward to hearing more about Brady!