Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Stolen Identities

A quick entry to report that our identity was stolen this week! I won't give out any specific details since the case will eventually go to court, but a couple of employees at a store my wife and I frequent got our credit card number and used it twice. The authorities already know who did it and were actually tipped off by the owners of the store, so we heard about it before we or the credit card company knew anything was wrong!

So, now we have to cancel our cards and get new ones, but that's nothing compared to some other folks who got fives times the number of charges we did. My wife already gave a statement and we should get our money "back" before we even have to pay the bill, so I think we were incredibly lucky it wasn't any worse. In the past something like this would have completely freaked me out, but now I think it's just the price you pay for living life these days. I put anything with our address on it through the shredder and keep our computers virus software updated, figuring it's the least I can do to keep our information safe. However, if someone wants the information bad enough they'll get it and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it.

To me, it's very similar to a quote I've heard about terrorism: "If you change what you do or who you are because of terrorism, they win." Of course it's easy for me to say that and it might seem an extreme example to some, but in terms of the stress your body goes through you can't let fear of any kind dominate your life. If you do, you haven't really been living anyway.

6 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh crap- that sucks! I'm so sorry to hear that!

I would like to suggest that you also report the identity theft to the three major credit agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian). Here's some info. for you:

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/idtheft.html#What%20Should%20I%20Do%20If%20I've%20Become%20A%20Victim%20Of

So sorry buddy!!!

Anonymous said...

That stinks! Certainly not very convenient to lose your cards around the holiday season!! (or anytime!)

I'm impressed with your calm through it all. A great attitude indeed.

Anonymous said...

Jeannie: I think we're ok since the people involved were caught and we'll get a new account number, but we'll definitely ask the credit card company if that's something we should do. Kudos to you since I wouldn't have thought of that!

Jen: Yeah, it does stink, but as I said it could have been a lot worse. As for keeping calm, I have to give the credit to my study of Zen. I have a long way to go to keep that calm in other situations, but that's kinda the point of living life. If it was easy, wouldn't things get a little boring? ;)

Doug said...

Yikes, that sucks. That happened to me once, but through my mailbox. Nothing actually got charged/used, but it was obvious that someone had tried to make a credit card in my name.

So was this store a small mom n' pop place or a big chain store?

Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

Unknown said...

true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, true religion jeans, ugg boots, ray ban uk, sac guess, vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ugg boots, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, hollister, hermes, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, vans pas cher, burberry, michael kors, north face, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, timberland, mulberry, michael kors outlet, hogan, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher