Thursday, November 16, 2006

Waking Up

Whenever I'm under a lot of stress, I tend to get only small tasks accomplished and the big, important stuff gets pushed aside. I guess it's because the small tasks give me a quick sense of accomplishment but not quite enough to make me feel like I can take on more valued projects. One of the things that gets ignored during these times is this blog and I shouldn't let that happen. Writing (when it isn't a required activity) has always been a good outlet for me and helps to empty my thoughts. Then, instead of letting them cascade around my brain, I can leave them on the page to fight amongst themselves.

As some may know from reading this blog, I have been struggling through my doctoral program for years. There were several bumps along the way and I have never wanted to be a quitter, but lately I've realized that I'm not on the right path. Many things have changed since I started the program as an eager 25 year old. I had become a listless 31 year old who had very little vision of where he was going. My wife told me that it had been a long time since I had been truly happy and not enveloped in some level of pain. I've probably known this for awhile, but until recently I wasn't able to admit it to myself.

The greater part of me expressed the need to make a clean break from my program and leave it behind, but there are undoubtedly some advantages to finishing the degree. There have been a number of things about the program that made it nearly impossible to finish, so I wrote a letter to my advisor asking if those obstacles could be sidestepped or even eliminated. I figured there wasn't any harm in trying since I had very little to loose, but the likelihood that such conditions would be accepted seems very low. So, why didn't I just make the break? At the time it seemed egotistical to think there was absolutely no chance things could change for the better and I had to give it a try.

In the two weeks since I sent that letter I have heard nothing and any resolve I had to continue in the program has begun to fall behind me. The person I was, the conditions and influences that propelled me, and the influences that blindly guided me are all gone now. That isn't to say that I am an empty vessel waiting to be filled since I've never believed that was what I'm all about. It was a big step to realize I was on the wrong path, but that doesn't mean the journey ahead will be easy. On the contrary, it may be much more difficult.

So, here I am on the verge of a new voyage where I can leave behind the anchors I had left dragging in the sand. I know now that I have to release them if I ever hope to find out who I really am and what it is I'm going to become. The anchor to friends that left me behind in their self absorbed world, the anchor to a childhood that was filled with negative influences and nightmares, the anchor that told me I couldn't change and become who I want to be...all need to be left behind in the harbor so I can set sail and finally wake up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you're moving forward Scott.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Huh, so you've stopped doing the doctoral program huh?

I did something similar years ago. I was set to start the Master's program at my university, but had a change of heart and realized that I didn't have the heart to study that stuff anymore, so I dropped out.

Worked out nicely in the long-run because I found something more meaningful to do (and more profitable).

Good luck, Scott.

P.S. I didn't see any pics of your altar posted.

Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes