Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Beginning of the Beginning

I haven't blogged for months now and I know exactly why. My posts aren't perfect. Yep, that's the reason. I've tried to make my posts entertaining and interesting, but get caught up in formatting them "just so" or getting pictures linked. I see what others manage to do on a regular basis and I wonder how they create such flowing blogs. I can't seem to do that, or at least it doesn't seem to get done.

A lot has happened the last few months and to capture it all in a single post or even a series of posts wouldn't do it justice. I've struggled mightily with my demons and never seem to get very far. The one constant is my family and my daily routine of taking care of my son. He's a wonderful boy who takes life as it comes. He waves to everyone and says, "Bye! See ya later!" with such a calm that I wish I could attain. I think I can, but it will take much practice.

I don't know what will become of this blog. I'd like to think I will write regularly and without the pressure to produce an entertaining blog perhaps it will happen anyway. But if it doesn't, oh well. Such is life. That may sound crass, but it is a difficult concept for me. Over the last couple years I have begun to consider myself a Buddhist, but only in the most passing way since I haven't had much time to devote to reading about it. Learning more about it terrifies me in a way because it might motivate me to change things in my life. Being a Buddhist, by definition, is very hard to do in isolation. There are some things that can be done of course, but taking refuge in a sangha is really an integral part of the whole deal.

I am still a Gen X Dad. That won't change, so there's no reason to change the title of the blog. I've been working on the zendo. Maybe you'll see it, maybe you won't. That's the point I expect. Not to anticipate what could be instead of focusing here and now on what is. I don't tend to do that very much. I have grown weary of the aimless journey I have been on and wouldn't have know any better had it not been for my wife and son. I realize now what I could be missing if I don't think about what I could be missing. Cryptic? Perhaps.

Wake up!

6 comments:

Jeannie said...

Hi there friend! :D I've got a lot to say (no surprise there, I'm sure- ha ha!!!)

"I've tried to make my posts entertaining and interesting..."

You know, I get a lot of responses on my personal blog when I write about cooking, but almost no responses at all when I write about Buddhism. It made me wonder whether or not I should just devote my blog to cooking, but I quickly decided against it. Although I love getting to know people better through my blog, I like to blog about whatever, even if nobody is reading.

"Over the last couple years I have begun to consider myself a Buddhist, but only in the most passing way..."

I don't really like definitions, but you may want to see if this one works for you:

"What Makes You A Buddhist", by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse.

"Being a Buddhist, by definition, is very hard to do in isolation."

Perhaps these will assist you:

The Leaf- a blog with live online sittings. You can sit with a group from the comfort of your home.
Audio Dharma- great talks from great Buddhist teachers.
Buddhism 101- An incredible summary of the basics of Buddhism given by Lama Surya Das. I think you'll really relate to this! I love this little YouTube clip.

As you know, my faith does not waiver, but nor do I push my views onto others. Your path is truly your own. I only wish you happiness.

Please give my best to your wife and son.

Dosho said...

Hey Jeannie! Thanks for all the resources and the well wishes! I've been trying to find your email address to write you, but my laptop died which had your info. Not sure if you'll see this, but if you do drop me a line! Hope you are well.

Jeannie said...

Ok! :D

Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

Unknown said...

true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, true religion jeans, ugg boots, ray ban uk, sac guess, vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ugg boots, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, hollister, hermes, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, vans pas cher, burberry, michael kors, north face, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, timberland, mulberry, michael kors outlet, hogan, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher

Unknown said...

ralph lauren, hollister, ghd, north face outlet, nike air max, birkin bag, celine handbags, vans shoes, chi flat iron, new balance, iphone 6 cases, iphone 6s plus cases, instyler, nike huarache, louboutin, beats by dre, timberland boots, bottega veneta, mac cosmetics, longchamp, babyliss, baseball bats, ipad cases, lululemon, s5 cases, asics running shoes, hollister, oakley, jimmy choo shoes, iphone 6 plus cases, valentino shoes, iphone 6s cases, soccer jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, mcm handbags, insanity workout, reebok shoes, soccer shoes, hollister, ferragamo shoes, nike air max, p90x workout, iphone cases, giuseppe zanotti, nike trainers, vans, mont blanc, iphone 5s cases, nike roshe, wedding dresses, north face outlet, nfl jerseys